Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lessons from a Heart of Mercy

My girls & I had an amazing opportunity to work with SeaWorld Rescue to clean up the turtle nesting grounds at Cape Canaveral over the weekend.

It was a beautiful opportunity to spend time together, serve the park rangers who work hard to help the turtles that nest here, and enjoy some beach time.

After a wonderful day with my girls and our special friends, it was time to head home.

I know I have faults, but I'm pretty good at communication and planning - but not this time.

OOPS...
In the middle of the planning through the hub-bub of the week , I had my hubby drop me off to car pool with friends, but I neglected to execute a plan for him to pick me up...so my most gracious friends had to drive me home - quite a distance out of their way, I might add (like an hour and a half)

They SHOULD HAVE demanded their rights to go straight home after a long day in the hot sun...after an even longer week working (and no sleep the night before).
They COULD HAVE made it awkward by oozing with the potential frustration I caused.
They WOULD HAVE made me feel small (I already was feeling bad).

But instead, even while feeling disappointed, they smiled, took me home and made me feel welcome in their vehicle.

It's so wonderful when people show love & mercy even when it's not deserved.  Good thing that's my Jesus' reaction to me when I mess up too. 

How many times do we fight for our selfish rights, not really considering those around us for the sake or our personal comfort?

When someone says or does something offensive, 
do we fire back with our selfish rights 
or offer mercy?

"There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you."  James 2:13



PS - Here's my honorary mention - This little guy was running along the beach, we thought he was too cute...!

4 comments:

  1. It would be wonderful if we naturally responded with mercy, right? But, we have that one thing we must deal with... our flesh - and it's always wanting it's way, every time.

    Praise the Lord that He has equipped us with a choice! We can choose to look at the situations before us with Kingdom eyes, surrendering our will, and simply asking ourselves - How can I serve my King and follow His lead?

    Matthew 26:41
    Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

    Thanks for sharing and being so real, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo true! It just such a reminder to "put on love" everyday. I appreciate your encouragement so much. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for a while... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. I went to your website and left my contact info. Praying for success for your Bible study. Christy

      Delete

I'm delighted to hear your own encouragement & experiences. Thank you for joining me

Christy