Saturday, September 13, 2014

Finding a Flower in the Mud


This past month we have experienced the death of 2 very close people to our family, the loss of most of my hubby's clients (therefore finances), the loss of our home, betrayal of people in our lives, and most recently the loss of heath (I know it's just a cold, but on top of everything else, life just feels just down right muddy.)

I have always been a big advertiser of loving people, and on the best of days it's pretty easy.  When you are feeling the weight of life crushing your body & soul, are you still a joyful giver?

Luke 6:38... Give away your life; you’ll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity.”

Deuteronomy 15:10-11...Give freely and spontaneously. Don’t have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God’s blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures. There are always going to be poor and needy people among you. So I command you: Always be generous, open purse and hands, give to your neighbors in trouble, your poor and hurting neighbors.

Proverbs 11:24..The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller.

Can the enemy muddy-up our lives enough to discourage us from being there for one another, or will we push past the crud and still foster community?  We are such a lonely society because when we hurt, we fold up, and try to "get through" on our own.  We know people around us have enough on their plate.  Life is BUSY.  We say, "I'll give____ when ____ calms down, or when ____ problem is fixed..." But can we push past the mud to give some flowers?

So one morning I prayed my pitiful "Lord help me put one foot in front of the other" prayer, and the thought that dropped in my heart was to buy some flowers for a very special friend.  Boy, that brought a smile to my face - it took my thoughts off the current crushed pieces that used to be my life (I mean, I can't put the shards back together anyways - so why stare at them?), and put my thoughts on how to bless my friend.



The flowers I purchases were not for me, but in a sense they were.  I was able to get past my feelings, and give when my heart still feels so hurt.  This act turned my day around more than I can describe.  When we take our minds off of our life, and put them on serving others, it just feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm delighted to hear your own encouragement & experiences. Thank you for joining me

Christy