Thursday, August 9, 2012

The power WITHIN a DAY

You can wake up unassumingly one morning 
expecting your day to move in a certain direction
BUT within that single day,
because of someone's decision
your whole life can change it's course 
WITH or WITHOUT your permission...

I know I've had those days that have left a mark on me that won't go away - even years later.  Some amazing marks, and some difficult.

WITHIN A DAY, you have the power to change the course of a single life...BOTH positively or negatively.

WITHIN A DAY you have the power to either advance the Kingdom of God, or the kingdom of darkness.

That's good enough reason to take Ephesians 6 seriously.  When your feet hit the floor in the morning, usually there's a general "game plan", BUT, you just don't know what surprise events or conversations you'll have to respond to, but God does, SO...
  • Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. 
  • Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. 
  • Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. 
  • God's Word is an indispensable weapon.
  • In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. 
  • Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. 
  • Keep your eyes open. 
  • Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. 
 Ephesians 6:13-18 (The Message)

With the blink of an eye, we can react impulsively and WITHIN THAT DAY change someone's life (and our own) forever.   I wonder how many people in prison would say they didn't intend to do what they did, but it was an impulsive bad decision.  I know my mistakes haven't warranted prison, but in God's eyes hurt is hurt, sin is sin...

A day can come and go, slipping through our fingers, and without realizing, it becomes wasted because WITHIN THAT DAY - nothing was done; Whether through mundane, discouragement, or stress.

Sometimes I do think back to the days I wish I could hit the "REDO" button because they were days I have regrets in.  I blurted out things I shouldn't have, made decisions which came with consequences, or ran away from things I needed to face.

On the other side, I'm so thankful for the days I used to serve God and those He loves - where I've made GOOD decisions - to serve my family, help someone when they're struggling, hosting & encouraging people, sharing the gospel when I get the chance, or give a simple hug.

We need to walk in much more reverence of the responsibility we have WITHIN A DAY.  GOD gives us the gift of a day - we need to cherish it, be responsible with it, and serve Him during it.


DESCRIPTION: Man with angel and devil on shoulders.  Angel has pushed devil off. CAPTION: SUDDENLY TOM DECIDED THAT HE SHOULD NOT CHEAT ON TODAY'S MATH TEST


Be very careful, then, how you live —
not as unwise but as wise, 
making the most of every opportunity, 
because the days are evil.  
therefore do not be foolish, 
but understand what the Lord’s will is.
Ephesians 5:15-17